So I have finally decided to enter the London Marathon as a gold bond runner! I am running for a charity, The White Lodge Centre. After seven attempts to try and enter the marathon via the public ballot, I am starting to believe that I may be rather ancient and decrepit by the time that bet comes in. So let me tell you a bit more about the charity that I will be supporting for VMLM2017…
The White Lodge Centre
White Lodge Centre supports disabled children, young people and adults, their families and carers in Surrey and throughout the surrounding areas. They specialise in care for those with a diverse range of disabilities, including cerebral palsy and other similar conditions. They are recognised as a centre of excellence where all the services we offer consistently attain the highest possible standards.
It costs over £2.5 million a year to run the White Lodge Centre which is not fully met by statutory sources, so they do rely on voluntary donations to maintain these vital services.
Please donate to this great cause!
There are several aspects to marathon training:
- Run 36-40 miles per week by race day
- Do at least 3 x 20 mile runs prior to the race
- To build up slowly, increasing running distance by 2 miles every week
- Tapering off in the last two weeks
- Mix up runs with race-pace, distance runs, interval sessions and cross-training (i.e.non-running activities)
- Have at least one rest day per week